[Colloquium] TTIC Colloquium: Fernando De la Torre, CMU

Julia MacGlashan macglashan at tti-c.org
Tue Oct 12 09:29:57 CDT 2010

When:             *Monday, Oct 18 @ 1:00pm*

Where:           * TTIC Conference Room #526*, 6045 S Kenwood Ave, 5th Floor

Who:              * Fernando De la Torre*, CMU

Title:               * Learning Components for Human Sensing*

Enabling computers to understand human behavior has the potential to
revolutionize many areas that benefit society such as clinical diagnosis,
human computer interaction, and social robotics. A critical element in the
design of any behavioral sensing system is to find a good representation of
the data for encoding, segmenting, classifying and predicting subtle human
behavior. In this talk I will propose several extensions of Component
Analysis (CA) techniques (e.g. kernel principal component analysis, support
vector machines, and spectral clustering) that are able to learn
spatio-temporal representations or components useful in many human sensing
tasks.

In the first part of the talk I will give an overview of several ongoing
projects in the CMU Human Sensing Laboratory, including our current work on
depression assessment from video, as well as hot-flash detection from
wearable sensors. In the second part of the talk I will show how several
extensions of the CA methods outperform state-of-the-art algorithms in
problems such as temporal alignment of human behavior, temporal
segmentation/clustering of human activities, joint segmentation and
classification of human behavior, and facial feature detection in images.
The talk will be adaptive, and I will discuss the topics of major interest
to the audience.

Bio: Fernando De la Torre received his B.Sc. degree in Telecommunications
(1994), M.Sc. (1996), and Ph. D. (2002) degrees in Electronic Engineering
from La Salle School of Engineering in Ramon Llull University, Barcelona,
Spain. In 1997 and 2000 he was an Assistant and Associate Professor in the
Department of Communications and Signal Theory in Enginyeria La Salle. Since
2005 he has been a Research Assistant Professor in the Robotics Institute at
Carnegie Mellon University. Dr. De la Torre's research interests include
computer vision and machine learning, in particular face analysis,
optimization and component analysis methods, and its applications to human
sensing.  Dr. De la Torre co-organized the first workshop on component
analysis methods for modeling, classification and clustering problems in
computer vision in conjunction with CVPR'07, and the workshop on human
sensing from video jointly with CVPR'06. He has also given several tutorials
at international conferences (ECCV'06, CVPR'06, ICME'07, ICPR'08) on the use
and extensions of component analysis methods. Currently he leads the
Component Analysis Laboratory (http://ca.cs.cmu.edu) and the Human Sensing
Laboratory (http://humansensing.cs.cmu.edu).

Host:              Raquel Urtasun, rurtasun at ttic.edu