[Colloquium] DISTINGUISHED SPEAKER SERIES: Margo Selzer, November 10, 2010

Katie Casey caseyk at cs.uchicago.edu
Tue Oct 12 10:04:10 CDT 2010

DEPARTMENT OF COMPUTER SCIENCE

UNIVERSITY OF CHICAGO

Date: Wednesday, November 10, 2010
Time: 2:30 p.m.
Place: Ryerson 251, 1100 E. 58th Street

Speaker:		Margo Seltzer

From:		Harvard College

Web page:	www.eecs.harvard.edu/~margo/

Title: 		Provenance Everywhere

Abstract:

Digital provenance describes the ancestry or history of a digital object.
Computer science research in provenance has addressed issues in provenance
capture in operating systems, command shells, languages, workflow systems
and applications. However, it's time to begin thinking seriously about
provenance interoperability, what it means, and how we can achieve it.
We have undertaken several projects that integrate provenance across
multiple platforms. Doing so introduces many challenging research opportunities.

In this talk, I'll present our Provenance-Aware Storage System, focusing
on our experiences integrating provenance across differet layers of
abstraction. I'll present some of our use cases and discuss important
issues for further research.

A reception will be held following the talk at 3:30 in RY 255.