[Haizea] Final CPU Utilization

Borja Sotomayor borja at borjanet.com
Tue Jun 15 10:54:55 CDT 2010

Hi,

The absolute CPU utilization at the end of a simulation is always
going to be zero, since all resources have been freed up at the end of
a simulation. The more interesting value is the final value of the
average CPU utilization and, even then, the very final value might not
be too representative because of "ramp down" effects: at the end of a
simulation, as the final requests are being processed, the CPU
utilization will drop ("ramp down") because no new requests are being
submitted.

What I usually do is take the average utilization at the time the last
lease in the simulation is submitted; however, I usually extract this
value using R (when analyzing the accounting file), and not using the
accounting probe infrastructure. I'm actually finishing up my
dissertation, and I'll be including detailed instructions on how I use
R to process results, but this information won't be available until
July or August.

> What about slowdown, is there any probe already defined in Haizea?

Yes, the BEProbe will compute the slowdown of best-effort leases. If
you need to use the slowdown metric with other types of leases, the
code should be easy to copy to a different probe.

Cheers!
--
Borja Sotomayor
PhD Candidate in Computer Science, University of Chicago