[Haizea] Live and Cold migration of VMs

Aline Bousquet aline.bousquet at ensi-bourges.fr
Thu Dec 16 08:33:37 CST 2010

Hi,

> Could you elaborate on why you would want to support live migration?
> Since Haizea does reservation-based scheduling (where a user requests
> resources, and they are reserved regardless of whether the user uses
> all of them; i.e., there is no attempt to consolidate underused
> leases), there hasn't been much need for live migration. You could
> certainly replace cold migration with live migration so the VMs are
> still available while the migration is being performed, but Haizea
> would still plan this in advance, as opposed to doing live-migration
> on-the-fly in response to changes in resource utilization.

Sorry, I think my explanations weren't really clear...

I would like to implement migration in OpenNebula mode (since it's the
mode I'm working with), not particularly live migration. As you said, it
won't be really useful, but as the documentation specifies "cold
migration", I wanted to know live migration status (for my tests, cold and
live migrations are ok)

Thanks a lot for your answer, Borja!

Aline