[Haizea] Live and Cold migration of VMs

Borja Sotomayor borja at borjanet.com
Sun Dec 12 11:40:56 CST 2010

Hi,

> I read in the documentation that cold migration of VMs is not implemented
> yet. But what about live migration? How do I test if it is working? Could
> you suggest a test scenario including two cluster nodes?

Cold migration is implemented in the scheduler, but is not integrated
with OpenNebula. In other words, cold migration can be used when
Haizea runs in simulation mode (there is actually a unit test that
will test this) but, in OpenNebula mode, it has no way of instruction
OpenNebula to cold-migrate a VM.

> If it isn't implemented, I would be interested in working on that aspect.
> In this case, could you give me some clues on how to do it?

Could you elaborate on why you would want to support live migration?
Since Haizea does reservation-based scheduling (where a user requests
resources, and they are reserved regardless of whether the user uses
all of them; i.e., there is no attempt to consolidate underused
leases), there hasn't been much need for live migration. You could
certainly replace cold migration with live migration so the VMs are
still available while the migration is being performed, but Haizea
would still plan this in advance, as opposed to doing live-migration
on-the-fly in response to changes in resource utilization.

Cheers!
--
Borja Sotomayor

Scientific Writer, Computation Institute
Lecturer, Department of Computer Science
University of Chicago
http://people.cs.uchicago.edu/~borja/

Community Manager, OpenNebula project
http://www.opennebula.org/