[Colloquium] TODAY: Evan Cook MS Presentation - May 14, 2024

Jessica Garza via Colloquium colloquium at mailman.cs.uchicago.edu
Tue May 14 06:47:25 CDT 2024

This is a reminder of Evan Cook's MS Presentation

Candidate: Evan Cook

Date: Tuesday, May 14, 2024

Time:  2:00 pm CT

Location: JCL 356

Title: PingPong: A Domain-Specific Language for Data Processing with Static Type Checking

Abstract: This paper details the type system and implementation behind an explicitly-typed monomorphic language domain-specific to data processing. In particular, this paper offers two novel contributions over other work in this area: (1) consideration of unique columns and optional columns and associated typing, and (2) type recommendations built into our custom language's compile phase. This paper begins with motivation and related work for typed dataframes, leading into novel type systems incorporating our desired features. Then, it presents the system/language design of a table-specific language "PingPong" based on this theory, as well as a proof-of-concept implementation.

Advisors: Adam Shaw

Committee Members: Adam Shaw, Timothy Ng, and Suhail Rehman

Jessica Garza
Assistant Director of Undergraduate Studies
Department of Computer Science
The University of Chicago
John Crerar Library 374
Office: (773) 702-2336