[Theory] TODAY: 6/2 Talks at TTIC: Haifeng Xu, University of Chicago

Mary Marre mmarre at ttic.edu
Fri Jun 2 10:01:04 CDT 2023

*When:*        Friday, June 2, 2023 at* 10:30 am** CT   *

*Where:       *Talk will be given *live, in-person* at

                   TTIC, 6045 S. Kenwood Avenue

                   5th Floor, Room 530

*Virtually:*  *via* Panopto (*livestream
<https://uchicago.hosted.panopto.com/Panopto/Pages/Viewer.aspx?id=7bce7adb-a922-4eeb-a289-b00f000ec4e9>*
)

*Who:          *Haifeng Xu, University of Chicago
------------------------------
*Title:*          The Economics of Machine Learning

*Abstract:* This talk will overview our recent works on the economics of
machine learning, with two complementary themes: machine learning for
economics and, conversely, economics for machine learning. The first theme
focuses on designing and analyzing ML algorithms for economic problems,
ranging from foundational game-theoretic models to real-world applications
such as recommender systems and national security. The second theme employs
economic principles to study machine learning itself, such as the pricing
of data, information and ML models, and designing incentive mechanisms to
improve large-scale ML research peer review. While the research focuses
primarily on developing methodologies, we will  also highlight  some
real-world impacts of these works, including ongoing large-scale live
experiments and potential deployments for various applications.

Haifeng is local here at UChicago CS. One of the main goals of this talk is
also to introduce his research works and hopefully to start constructive
conversations with friends and collaborators at TTIC, so the talk will
highlight many open questions.

*Bio: *Haifeng Xu is an assistant professor in computer science at the
University of Chicago, and directs the Strategic Intelligence for Machine
Agents (SIGMA) lab, which focuses on designing intelligent AI agents that
can effectively learn and act in informationally complex multi-agent
setups. His research interests include computational game theory, machine
learning, algorithms, and multi-agent systems. Haifeng has been recognized
by multiple awards, including Invited Early Career Spotlight Talk at IJCAI,
a Google Faculty Research Award, ACM SIGecom Dissertation Award (honorable
mention) and IFAAMAS Distinguished Dissertation Award (runner-up). Prior to
UChicago, he was the Alan Batson Assistant Professor at the University of
Virginia, and even before that a postdoc at Harvard. Haifeng obtained his
PhD in Computer Science from the University of Southern California, advised
by Profs. Milind Tambe and Shaddin Dughmi.

*Host: *Avrim Blum <avrim at ttic.edu>

Mary C. Marre
Faculty Administrative Support
*Toyota Technological Institute*