[Theory] 4/6 Talks at TTIC: Yu Li, KAUST

Mary Marre mmarre at ttic.edu
Mon Mar 30 22:04:02 CDT 2020

*When:*      Monday, April 6th at 11:00 am

*Where:*     TTIC <Virtually>   *https://zoom.us/j/398391992
<https://zoom.us/j/398391992> *

*Who: *        Yu Li, KAUST

*Title:         *Towards Understanding Biomolecular Structure and Function
with Deep Learning

*Abstract:  *Biomolecules, existing in high-order structural forms, are
indispensable for the normal functioning of our bodies. To demystify those
critical biological processes, we need to investigate biomolecular
structures and functions. In this talk, we showcase our efforts in that
research direction using deep learning. First, we proposed a deep learning
guarded Bayesian inference framework for reconstructing super-resolved
structure images from the super-resolved fluorescence microscopy data. This
framework enables us to observe the overall biomolecular structures in
living cells with super-resolution in almost real-time. Then, we zoom in on
a particular biomolecule, RNA, predicting its secondary structure. For this
one of the oldest problems in bioinformatics, we proposed an unrolled deep
learning method, which can bring us with 20% performance improvement,
regarding the F1 score. Finally, by leveraging the physiochemical features
and deep learning, we proposed the first-of-its-kind framework to
investigate the interaction between RNA and RNA-binding proteins (RBP).
This framework can provide us with both the interaction details and
high-throughput binding prediction results. Extensive *in vitro* and *in
vivo *biological experiments demonstrate the effectiveness of the proposed
method.

*Bio:* Yu Li is a PhD student at KAUST in Saudi Arabia, majoring in
Computer Science, under the supervision of Prof. Xin Gao. He is a member of
Computational Bioscience Research Center (CBRC) at KAUST. His main research
interest is developing novel and new machine learning methods, mainly deep
learning methods, for solving the computational problems in biology and
understanding the principles behind the bio-world. He obtained MS degree in
CS from KAUST at 2016. Before that, he got the Bachelor degree in
Biosciences from University of Science and Technology of China (USTC).

*Host:* Jinbo Xu <j3xu at ttic.edu>

Jinbo Xu is inviting you to a scheduled Zoom meeting.

Topic: Talks at TTIC: Yu Li, KAUST
Time: Apr 6, 2020 11:00 AM Central Time (US and Canada)

*Join Zoom Meetinghttps://zoom.us/j/398391992
<https://www.google.com/url?q=https://zoom.us/j/398391992&sa=D&ust=1586053330460000&usg=AOvVaw36Yhq1ZBSAp_NEVpiXv1cw>*

Meeting ID: 398 391 992

One tap mobile