[Theory] 4/2 Talks at TTIC: Bradly Stadie, Vector Institute

Mary Marre mmarre at ttic.edu
Fri Mar 27 16:36:39 CDT 2020

*When:*      Thursday, April 2nd at 11:00 am

*Where:*     TTIC <Virtually>   *https://zoom.us/j/644963077*
<https://zoom.us/j/644963077>

*Who: *        Bradly Stadie, Vector Institute

*Title:         *Weakly Supervised Reinforcement Learning

*Abstract: *Consider a scenario wherein we are given the entire ImageNet
training set without access to labels. What unsupervised features should we
learn from this unlabeled data? In particular, which features should we
learn that might be useful for downstream transfer to classification at
test time? This problem, known as weakly supervised learning, has seen
tremendous advancement in the past 18 months thanks to methods like
Contrastive Predictive Coding.

In this talk, we will consider the analogous problem in a reinforcement
learning (RL) setting. In the absence of any guidance, which tasks should
an agent pursue during an unsupervised play phase? Can an agent learn
unsupervised behaviors that are useful for downstream transfer to real
tasks at test time? While the de facto method for solving this class of
problems has long been curiosity methods, we argue that naively applying
this approach leads to agents that don’t learn semantically meaningful
behaviors. In other words, curiosity doesn’t provide the right inductive
bias for downstream transfer.

We propose two methods to fix curiosity's shortcomings. First, we leverage
the notion of self-imitation learning to derive an analogue to curiosity in
an abstract imitation space. This form of curiosity encourages agents to
learn diverse behaviors with semantic differences. Second, we introduce the
notion of goals to our agents. Even when we never tell agents which goals
are interesting, we see that simply introducing the existence of goals
provides enough inductive bias for agents to learn a meaningful
distribution of interesting unsupervised behaviors. These behaviors can be
readily leveraged to achieve a variety of difficult tasks at test time,
including extremely challenging robotic navigation, manipulation, and
locomotion tasks.

*Host:* Matthew Walter <mwalter at ttic.com>

*Matthew Walter* is inviting you to a scheduled Zoom meeting.

Topic: Talks at TTIC: Bradly Stadie, Vector Institute
Time: Apr 2, 2020 11:00 AM Central Time (US and Canada)

*Join Zoom Meetinghttps://zoom.us/j/644963077 <https://zoom.us/j/644963077>*

Meeting ID: 644 963 077

One tap mobile
+14086380968,,644963077# US (San Jose)