[Cs22800] Next level of detail on Enlightenment's abstraction barriers?

Mike O'Donnell odonnell at cs.uchicago.edu
Sun Oct 20 14:34:54 CDT 2002

For Ziba's and Stephen's Enlightenment taskbar project, I think that a
next strategic step could be to give us one more layer of detail about
the Ecore and Etox and Ebits abstractions, so we can think about how
efficiently they can support the needs of a taskbar. Presumably they
are supporting application windows pretty well already. It seems
likely that a taskbar's graphical presentation needs are similar
enough. But how about its needs to get information about other
applications and about the windowing/desktop environment as a whole?
These might not arise in most applications, but perhaps a file manager
has already dealt with some of them.

Also, please add some sort of time scale to each project
writeup. First priority: make it clear whether you want to finish
something creditable during fall quarter, or whether you'll take
credit in a later quarter. Then, try to break out a few milestones
along the way so we can tell when things are getting late and need to
be revised.

Mike O'D.