[Cs22800] Hacking DNS

Mike O'Donnell odonnell at cs.uchicago.edu
Sat Sep 7 10:49:22 CDT 2002

Actually, I don't have an idea for making DNS more secure. Rather, I
have an idea about using the security extensions to DNS to implement
self-assigned permanent handles. Handles are domain names without the
name part. They are meaningless codes owned permanently by a
particular agent and assignable, just like domain names, to a sequence
of different IP numbers as the agent moves around over his
lifetime. The point is to avoid the huge and increasing fights about
rights to meaningful domain names.

My idea may not be mature enough to provide a good project for this
fall, although an experimental demonstration prototype is worth
considering. The main work will be hacking BIND configuration, plus a
tiny bit of extra programming for the part that BIND won't do.

If you're interested, look at

	http://people.cs.uchicago.edu/~odonnell/Citizen/Network_Identifiers/

The stuff is pretty diffuse, since I'm still fumbling around for the
right things to say to the right audiences. Item #6, "Open Network
Handles Implemented in DNS," is the most mature and also the closest
to potential project work. I intend to submit it as an Internet Draft
this weekend.

Mike O'D.