[Colloquium] Reminder - Jafar Jafarov Dissertation Defense/Jun 8, 2022

Megan Woodward meganwoodward at uchicago.edu
Wed Jun 8 09:23:14 CDT 2022

This is an announcement of Jafar Jafarov's Dissertation Defense.
Candidate: Jafar Jafarov

Date: Wednesday, June 08, 2022

Time: 12 pm CST

Remote Location: https://uchicago.zoom.us/j/93270019541?pwd=SVJwVkcwZHdpb1hOQml6WVYzYTNxZz09<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://uchicago.zoom.us/j/93270019541?pwd=SVJwVkcwZHdpb1hOQml6WVYzYTNxZz09__;!!BpyFHLRN4TMTrA!5Kdvs3tkNF_M5DxDbaJCfRMLlJK5kG9u_LN99GW3MA1FyjmbZiLP4Gvw4B-u95QFMf1N1KpAfFMgvlV20ejYB0i8IxzNmJN5ipAN$>  Meeting ID: 932 7001 9541 Passcode: 305048

Location: JCL 298

Title: Correlation Clustering with Local and Global Objectives

Abstract: In the Correlation Clustering problem, we are given a graph with its edges labeled as "similar"; and "dissimilar" by a noisy binary classifier, and the goal is to produce a clustering of the vertex set which matches with the edge labels as much as possible. Correlation Clustering has been mainly studied under two models where the input graph is (i) complete and unweighted, and (ii) arbitrary and weighted.

In this thesis, we introduce a new model of Correlation Clustering that better captures real life instances. In this model the input graph is complete with bounded edge weights. We give an approximation algorithm and give a matching integrality gap instance. Moreover, we examine the model under an l_p objective which is a generalization of the standard Correlation Clustering objective, MinDisagree. We give an approximation algorithm and show an almost matching integrality gap for this objective.

Advisors: Yury Makarychev and Janos Simon

Committee Members: Yury Makarychev, Janos Simon, Konstantin Makarychev and Aaron Potechin