[Colloquium] Bogdan Stoica MS Presentation/Feb 23, 2022

Megan Woodward meganwoodward at uchicago.edu
Wed Feb 9 11:37:10 CST 2022

This is an announcement of Bogdan Stoica's MS Presentation
Candidate: Bogdan Stoica

Date: Wednesday, February 23, 2022

Time: 12 pm CST

Remote Location: https://uchicago.zoom.us/j/97792789421?pwd=b2w0WGlkSmk1SlJGci9RT0ZJRndzdz09  Meeting ID: 977 9278 9421  Passcode: 986251

M.S. Paper Title: Efficiently Exposing Memory Ordering Bugs with Active Delay Injection

Abstract: Concurrency bugs are difficult to detect as they are synchronization problems that only manifest under rare timing conditions. Recent work demonstrates that active delay injection can be used to detect one type of concurrency bugs - thread-safety violations - with low overhead, high coverage, and no program analysis. However, whether such an approach can work with similar efficiency and coverage for other types of concurrency errors remains an open question.

In this paper, we explore whether this state-of-the-art technique can be applied to detecting other types of concurrency bugs. Particularly, we investigate a class of synchronization problems that appears between object usage and its initialization or disposal, referred to as MEMORDER bugs. We first show experimentally that the current state-of-the-art delay injection approach leads to high overhead and low coverage for MEMORDER bugs, as their unique nature cause high delay density and high delay interference. We then design WAFL, a tool that customizes the injection location finding and injection execution strategies to match the nature of MEMORDER bugs. Our evaluation on 11 popular open source C# applications shows that WAFL can expose more bugs with less overhead than the current state-of-the-art.

Advisors: Shan Lu

Committee Members: Shan Lu, Haryadi Gunawi, and Suman Nath