[Colloquium] NOW! 1/13 Talks at TTIC: Soheil Behnezhad, University of Maryland

Mary Marre mmarre at ttic.edu
Wed Jan 13 11:09:10 CST 2021

*When:*      Wednesday, January 13th at* 11:10 am CT*

*Where:*     Zoom Virtual Talk (*register in advance here
<https://uchicagogroup.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_OeFvNCU3Rd-d6OVJNsgLTw>*)

*Who: *       Soheil Behnezhad, University of Maryland

*Title:* Recent Advances in Large-Scale Graph Algorithms

*Abstract:*
Graphs today are massive. Social network graphs, the web graph, and models
of the brain are just a few examples of graphs with billions of vertices
and trillions of edges. Graph processing at this scale poses unique
challenges. We can no longer afford to have random-access to the input as
assumed by traditional algorithms, and even a linear-time algorithm may be
prohibitive. In this talk, I will overview the recent advances in
large-scale graph processing and the theory behind such algorithms. My
primary focus will be on the Massively Parallel Computations (MPC) model, a
popular theoretical model for modern parallel frameworks such as MapReduce,
Hadoop, Spark, etc. I will particularly talk about my recent works on
maximal matching and graph connectivity problems in this model. I will also
discuss implications for other models of computation and finish with some
open problems.

*Bio: *Soheil Behnezhad is a Ph.D. candidate at the University of Maryland.
He is broadly interested in the foundations of big data algorithms and
primarily focuses on massively parallel computation (such as MapReduce
algorithms), graph sparsification, streaming algorithms, and dynamic
algorithms. His work has led to efficient large-scale algorithms for
fundamental graph problems such as maximum matching and graph connectivity.
Soheil obtained his B.Sc. from Sharif University of Technology in 2016 and
has been a Google Ph.D. Fellow since 2019.

*Host:   <avrim at ttic.edu>**Avrim Blum <avrim at ttic.edu>*

Mary C. Marre
Faculty Administrative Support