[Colloquium] [TITLE & ABSTRACT CORRECTION] 2/17 Talk at TTIC: Alberto Bietti, Inria

Jerome Allen jallen at ttic.edu
Thu Feb 13 13:19:13 CST 2020

*When:*   Monday, February 17th at *11:00am *

*Where:*   TTIC, 6045 S. Kenwood Avenue, 5th Floor, Room 526

*Who: *     Alberto Bietti, Inria

*Title*: Foundations of deep convolutional models through kernel methods

*Abstract:*  Deep learning has been most widely successful in tasks where
the data presents a rich structure, such as images, audio, or text. The
choice of network architecture is believed to play a key role in exploiting
this structure, for instance through convolutions and pooling on natural
signals, yet a precise study of these properties and how they affect
learning guarantees is still missing. Another challenge for the theoretical
understanding of deep learning models is that they are often
over-parameterized and known to be powerful function approximators, while
being seemingly easy to optimize using gradient methods.
We study deep models through the lens of kernel methods, which naturally
define functional spaces for learning in a non-parametric manner, and have
links to optimization of infinitely-wide deep networks in certain regimes.
This allows us to study invariance and stability properties of various
convolutional architectures by studying the geometry of the kernel mapping,
as well as approximation properties of learning in different regimes.
Additionally, our kernel point of view defines a natural complexity
measure, the RKHS norm, which we leverage empirically to regularize deep
networks for improved generalization on small datasets, and for better
robustness to adversarial examples.

*Research at TTIC Seminar Series*

TTIC is hosting a weekly seminar series presenting the research currently
underway at the Institute. Every week a different TTIC faculty member will
present their research.  The lectures are intended both for students
seeking research topics and adviser, and for the general TTIC and
University of Chicago communities interested in hearing what their
colleagues are up to.

To receive announcements about the seminar series, please subscribe to the
mailing list: https://groups.google.com/a/ttic.edu/group/talks/subscribe

Speaker details can be found at: http://www.ttic.edu/tticseminar.php.

For additional questions, please contact Nathan Srebro at nati at ttic.edu
<mcallester at ttic.edu>.