[Colloquium] Wednesday, October 2, 1:30 – 2:30 pm ~ Machine Learning Seminar ~ Arthur Szlam

Annie Simmons simmons3 at cs.uchicago.edu
Mon Sep 30 14:26:04 CDT 2019

University of Chicago and Toyota Technological Institute at Chicago
Machine Learning Seminar Series

Arthur Szlam
Facebook Research

Wednesday, October 2, 1:30 – 2:30 pm
TTIC, 6045 S. Kenwood Avenue,
5th Floor, Room 526

Title:
Language and Interaction in Minecraft

Abstract:
I will discuss a research program aimed at building a Minecraft assistant, in order to facilitate the study of agents that can complete tasks specified by dialogue, and eventually, to learn from dialogue interactions.  I will describe the tools and platform we have built allowing players to interact with the agents and to record those interactions, and the data we have collected.  In addition, I will describe an initial agent from which we (and hopefully others) can iterate.

Bio:
Arthur Szlam (aszlam at fb.com) received his Ph.D. degree in computer science from Yale University, New Haven, Connecticut. He is a research scientist at Facebook AI Research, Menlo Park, California. Prior to joining Facebook, he was a postdoctoral fellow at the Institute for Mathematics and Its Applications at the University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, and the Institute for Pure and Applied Mathematics, University of California, Los Angeles, and an assistant professor at City College of New York. He is a Sloan Foundation fellow. His research interests are in computational harmonic analysis, the relationships between smoothness, frequency, and scale on graphs and data clouds, and applications to signal processing and machine learning.
Host: Nati Srebro

Annie Simmons
Project Assistant IV
Computer Science Department
John Crerar Library Building
5730 S. Ellis
Chicago, IL 60637
773.834.2750
773.702.8487
simmons3 at cs.uchicago.edu

“The dream is free the hustle is sold separately"