[Colloquium] Ming Zhang talk, 10/7/19

Sandra Quarles squarles at cs.uchicago.edu
Mon Sep 30 09:34:09 CDT 2019

UNIVERSITY OF CHICAGO
COMPUTER SCIENCE DEPARTMENT
PRESENTS

Ming Zhang
Senior Director/Principal Engineer in Aliaba Cloud

Monday, October 7, 2019 at 2:00 pm
John Crerar Library, Room 346

Title:  Data Center Networking Research at Alibaba

Abstract: Alibaba operates some of the most sophisticated and diverse Internet services in the world, including e-commerce (Taobao and TMall), cloud computing (Alibaba Cloud), mobile payment and finance (Ant Financial). To deliver these services seamlessly to hundreds of millions of users, Alibaba has built mega-scale data center networks spanning across the globe. In this talk, I will provide a peek into the key research problems that we are working on, from high-performance networking, to telemetry, intent-based networking, and programmable networks. We believe that the outcome of this research will be vital to pushing the performance, availability and agility of data
center networks to the next level.

Bio: Ming Zhang is a Senior Director / Principal Engineer in Alibaba Cloud where he leads the development of automation and intelligence systems that keep Alibaba’s global datacenter networks running reliably, efficiently and at scale. In addition, he leads the networking research team which explores and builds next-generation datacenter and wireless networking technologies for Alibaba. Before joining Alibaba, he was a Senior Researcher at Microsoft Research Redmond for 10 years, during which time he delivered multiple key technologies that power the massive cloud networks of Microsoft Azure. He holds 20+ US patents, and his research was featured in influential media outlets such as BBC, CNN, and MIT Tech Review. He received his Ph.D. from Princeton University in 2005 and B.S. from Nanjing University in 1999.

Host:  Heather Zheng

PDF:

Sandy Quarles
Project Assistant