[Colloquium] [TTIC Talks] 9/11 TTIC Colloquium: Lana Lazebnik, UIUC

Alicia McClarin amcclarin at ttic.edu
Thu Sep 5 08:57:29 CDT 2019

*When:*      Wednesday, September 11th at 11:00 am

*Where:*     TTIC, 6045 S. Kenwood Avenue, 5th Floor, Room 526

*Who:         *Lana Lazebnik, UIUC

*Title:         *Building Blocks for Discriminative and Generative
Image-Language Tasks

*Abstract:  *From robotics to human-computer interaction, numerous
real-world tasks can benefit from practical systems that can identify
objects in scenes based on language and understand language grounded in
visual context. This presentation will focus on my group’s work on
developing models for jointly modeling images and language. I will talk
about methods for learning cross-modal embeddings for visual and textual
features, and about the challenging problem of grounding or localizing
of textual mentions of entities in an image. I will discuss applications of
these models to discriminative tasks such as text-to-image
and image-to-text search, and generative tasks such as automatic
image description.

*Bio:*  Svetlana Lazebnik is an Associate Professor in the Department
of Computer Science at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. Her
research interests include visual object recognition, scene understanding,
and machine learning for big visual data. She received her Ph.D. in 2006 at
U of I and was an Assistant Professor at UNC Chapel Hill from 2007 to 2012
before returning to U of I. She is the recipient of an NSF CAREER award, a
Microsoft Research Faculty Fellowship, and an Alfred P. Sloan Research
Fellowship. In 2016, she received the Longuet-Higgins Prize for a CVPR 2006
paper with significant impact on computer vision research. She is
currently serving as an Editor in Chief for the International Journal
of Computer Vision, and Program Chair for ICCV 2019.

Host: Greg Shakhnarovich <greg at ttic.edu>
--
*Alicia McClarin*
*Toyota Technological Institute at Chicago*