[Colloquium] Theory Seminar speaker

Donna Brooms donna at cs.uchicago.edu
Tue Oct 29 06:51:59 CDT 2019

REMINDER:

Department of Mathematics & Computer Science
Combinatorics & Theory Seminar

Tuesday, October 29, 2019
Ryerson 251@ 3:30 pm

Mika Goos
IAS

Title:  Automated Proof Search: The Aftermath

Abstract:
In a breathtaking breakthrough, Atserias and Muller (FOCS'19, Best Paper)
settled the complexity of finding short proofs in Resolution, the most basic
propositional proof system. Namely, given an unsatisfiable CNF formula F, they
showed it is NP-hard to find a Resolution refutation of F in time polynomial in
the length of the shortest such refutation.

In this talk, we present a simple proof of the Atserias--Muller theorem.
The new proof generalises better: We obtain analogous hardness results for
Nullstellensatz, Polynomial Calculus, Sherali--Adams, and (with more work)
Cutting Planes. An open problem is to include Sum-of-Squares in this list.

Based on joint works with Sajin Koroth, Ian Mertz, Jakob Nordström, Toniann
Pitassi, Susanna de Rezende, Robert Robere, Dmitry Sokolov.

Host: Prof. Aaron Potechin

Refreshments will be served during the talk

Donna Brooms-Blue