[Colloquium] REMINDER: 2/1 Talks at TTIC: Yixuan Li, Facebook AI

Mary Marre via Colloquium colloquium at mailman.cs.uchicago.edu
Fri Feb 1 10:13:33 CST 2019

When:     Friday, February 1st at *11:00 am*

Where:    TTIC, 6045 S Kenwood Avenue, 5th Floor, Room 526

Who:       Yixuan Li, Facebook AI

*Title*: Learning Generalizable and Reliable Neural Machines in an Open
World

*Abstract*: The past several years have seen a growing demand for building
intelligent machines that can learn from and generalize to complex data.
However, despite tremendous performance improvements, high-capacity models
such as deep neural networks still struggle to generalize to the diverse
world. In this talk, I will present my recent work addressing challenges on
learning more generalizable and reliable representations. This requires
machine learning models to not only classify data accurately from known
classes and distributions, but also to develop awareness against abnormal
examples in open environments. To this end, I will first talk about works
on how we can improve generalization by leveraging multiple learning
agents. Then, I will discuss an approach that effectively detects anomalies
from outside the training distribution. Finally, I will share ongoing
efforts on learning highly generalizable representations without strong
human supervision, followed by discussion of future directions towards a
minimally supervised, continuous learning paradigm.

*Bio*: Yixuan (Sharon) Li is a Research Scientist at Facebook AI. Her
research interests are in machine learning and representation learning,
with applications to computer vision and network science. She received her
Ph.D. from Cornell University in 2017, where she was advised by John E.
Hopcroft, Kilian Q. Weinberger and Thorsten Joachims. Prior to Cornell, she
obtained her B.Eng from the honored class of Shanghai Jiaotong University
in 2013. She was selected as one of the Rising Stars in EECS by Stanford
University in 2017. She is the recipient of ACM-W Scholarship and Cornell
Graduate Research Fellowship.

Host: Greg Shakhnarovich <Greg at ttic.edu>