[Colloquium] [masters-presentation] Li/MS Presentation/Dec 12, 2019

Margaret Jaffey margaret at cs.uchicago.edu
Mon Dec 2 11:16:00 CST 2019

This is an announcement of Chi Li's MS Presentation.

Date:  Thursday, December 12, 2019

Time:  10:00 AM

Place:  John Crerar Library 390

M.S. Candidate:  Chi Li

M.S. Paper Title: Statically Inferring Performance Properties of
Software Configurations

Abstract:
Modern software systems often have a huge number of configurations
whose performance properties are poorly documented. Unfortunately,
obtaining a good understanding of these performance properties is a
prerequisite for performance tuning. This paper explores a new
approach to discovering performance properties of system
configurations: static program analysis. We present a comprehensive
taxonomy of how a configuration might affect performance through
program dependencies. Guided by this taxonomy, we design LearnConf, a
static analysis tool that identifies which configurations affect what
type of performance and how. Our evaluation considers hundreds of
configurations in four widely used distributed systems, demonstrating
that LearnConf accurately and efficiently identifies
configurations’performance properties, and improves performance tuning
while avoiding problems such as out-of-memory errors and timeouts.

Chi's advisor is Prof. Shan Lu

Login to the Computer Science Department website for details:
 https://newtraell.cs.uchicago.edu/phd/ms_announcements#lichi

Margaret P. Jaffey            margaret at cs.uchicago.edu
Department of Computer Science
Student Support Rep (JCL 350)              (773) 702-6011
The University of Chicago      http://www.cs.uchicago.edu