[Colloquium] Chi Li's Defense

Donna Brooms donna at cs.uchicago.edu
Mon Dec 2 09:28:51 CST 2019

Chi Li’s Defense will be held on Thursday, December 12th: from 10am to 11:30am in JCL - 390.

ABSTRACT

Modern  software  systems  often  have  a  huge  number  of  configurations  whose  performance properties are poorly documented.  Unfortunately, obtaining a good understanding of these performance properties is a prerequisite for performance tuning.  This paper explores a new approach  to  discovering  performance  properties  of  system  configurations:  static  program analysis.  We present a comprehensive taxonomy of how a configuration might affect performance through program dependencies.  Guided by this taxonomy, we design LearnConf, a static analysis tool that identifies which configurations affect what type of performance and how.  Our evaluation considers hundreds of configurations in four widely used distributed systems, demonstrating that LearnConf accurately and efficiently identifies configurations’performance properties, and improves performance tuning while avoiding problems such as out-of-memory errors and timeouts.

Advisor: Prof. Shan Lu
Donna Brooms-Blue