[Colloquium] REMINDER: 5/22 TTIC Colloquium: Aron Culotta, Illinois Institute of Technology

Mary Marre via Colloquium colloquium at mailman.cs.uchicago.edu
Sun May 21 19:08:35 CDT 2017

When:     Monday, May 22nd at 11:00 a.m.

Where:    TTIC, 6045 S. Kenwood Avenue, 5th Floor, Room 526

Who:      Aron Culotta, Illinois Institute of Technology

Title:
Observational studies from social media using robust text classification
and learning from label proportions

Abstract:
Observational studies conducted with online social internet data have the
potential to provide insights into human sciences such as public health,
sociology, political science, and marketing. A key difficulty is that the
variables of interest are rarely observed and so must be estimated by
classification models that use features from user-generated text or social
connections. In this talk, I will discuss two lines of research to support
this approach. First, since it is critical that classifiers are not biased
by socio-economic or demographic variables, I will present a method to
train a text classifier while controlling for such covariates, even when
they are unobserved. Second, because user demographics are rarely observed,
and labeled training data is difficult to obtain, I will present a Learning
from Label Proportions (LLP) approach that trains a demographics classifier
from sets of users paired with population statistics (e.g., from the U.S.
Census). Finally, I will discuss a recent co-training method for LLP that
uses deep learning to combine text features with a user's profile image to
predict demographics.

Bio:
Aron Culotta is an Assistant Professor of Computer Science at the Illinois
Institute of Technology in Chicago, where he leads the Text Analysis in the
Public Interest lab (http://tapilab.github.io/). He obtained his Ph.D. in
Computer Science from the University of Massachusetts, Amherst in 2008,
where he developed machine learning algorithms for natural language
processing. He was a Microsoft Live Labs Fellow and completed research
internships at IBM, Google, and Microsoft Research. His work has received
best paper awards at AAAI and CSCW. He is Managing Editor of JMLR and an
SPC member for AAAI and ICHI.

Host: Kevin Gimpel <kgimpel at ttic.edu>

For more information on the colloquium series or to subscribe to the
mailing list, please see http://www.ttic.edu/colloquium.php