[Colloquium] 5/26 Research at TTIC: Yury Makarychev, TTIC

Mary Marre via Colloquium colloquium at mailman.cs.uchicago.edu
Fri May 19 15:43:24 CDT 2017

When:     Friday, May 26th at noon

Where:    TTIC, 6045 S Kenwood Avenue, 5th Floor, Room 526

Who:       Yury Makarychev, TTIC

Title:       Algorithms for Stable and Perturbation-Resilient Problems

Abstract: We study the notion of stability and perturbation resilience
introduced by Bilu and Linial (2010) and Awasthi, Blum, and Sheffet (2012).
A combinatorial optimization problem is α-stable or
α-perturbation-resilient if the optimal solution does not change when we
perturb all parameters of the problem by a factor of at most α. We present
improved algorithms for stable instances of various clustering and
optimization problems, including k-means, k-median, Max Cut, and Minimum
Multiway Cut. We also show several hardness results.

The talk is based on joint papers with Haris Angelidakis, Konstantin
Makarychev, and Aravindan Vijayaraghavan.

*Research at TTIC Seminar Series*

TTIC is hosting a weekly seminar series presenting the research currently
underway at the Institute. Every week a different TTIC faculty member will
present their research.  The lectures are intended both for students
seeking research topics and adviser, and for the general TTIC and
University of Chicago communities interested in hearing what their
colleagues are up to.

To receive announcements about the seminar series, please subscribe to the
mailing list: https://groups.google.com/a/ttic.edu/group/talks/subscribe

Speaker details can be found at: http://www.ttic.edu/tticseminar.php.

For additional questions, please contact Nathan Srebro at nati at ttic.edu
<mcallester at ttic.edu>