[Colloquium] Re: REMINDER: 9/26 TTIC Colloquium: Matus Telgarsky, UIUC

Mary Marre via Colloquium colloquium at mailman.cs.uchicago.edu
Mon Sep 26 10:57:21 CDT 2016

When:     Monday, September 26th at 11:00 a.m.

Where:    TTIC, 6045 S. Kenwood Avenue, 5th Floor, Room 526

Who:       Matus Telgarsky, UIUC

Title:        Representation Power of Neural Networks.

Abstract: This talk will survey classical and contemporary results and open
problems
regarding the representation power of neural networks.
The first section will discuss the ability of neural networks and related
function classes to approximate continuous functions arbitrarily well.
The second part will provide situations where deep networks require
exponentially fewer nodes than shallow networks.  The final portion will
give (tenuous!) evidence from the statistical perspective --- namely VC
and covering bounds --- that adding layers doesn't add too many
functions.  To lend some spice throughout the talk, historical interludes
will be provided by our friends Vladimir Arnol'd, Andrey Kolmogorov, and
John von Neumann.

Bio:
Matus Telgarsky obtained his PhD in Computer Science at UCSD in 2013
under Sanjoy Dasgupta; while there, his research focused primarily upon
optimization and statistical aspects of unconstrained and unregularized
algorithms (e.g., boosting), and to a lesser extent clustering.
Thereafter he was been a postdoctoral researcher at Rutgers University
and the University of Michigan, as well as a consulting researcher at
Microsoft Research in New York City.  Since Fall 2016 he is an assistant
professor at the University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign; his most
recent interests are representation and nonconvex optimization.

Host: Greg Shakhnarovich, greg at ttic.edu

For more information on the colloquium series or to subscribe to the
mailing list, please see http://www.ttic.edu/colloquium.php