[Colloquium] Research at TTIC: Mehrdad Mahdavi, TTIC

Dawn Ellis dellis at ttic.edu
Fri May 8 09:19:36 CDT 2015

When:     Friday, May 15th at noon

Where:    TTIC, 6045 S Kenwood Avenue, 5th Floor, Room 526

Who:       Mehrdad Mahdavi, TTIC

Title:       Random Projections for Classification: A Recovery Approach

Abstract:

Random projection has been widely used in data classi cation. It maps
high-dimensional data into a low dimensional space in order to reduce the
computational cost in solving the related optimization problem. While
previous studies are focused on analyzing the classification performance of
using random projection, in this work, we consider the recovery problem,
i.e., how to accurately recover the solution to the optimization problem in
the original high dimensional space based on the solution learned from the
subspace spanned by random projections. We present a simple algorithm,
termed Dual Random Projection, that uses the dual solution to the
low-dimensional optimization problem to recover the solution to the
original optimization problem. Our theoretical analysis shows that with a
high probability, the proposed algorithm is able to accurately recover the
optimal solution in the high dimensional space, provided that the data
matrix is of low rank. We also examine the relationship between compressive
sensing and the problem of recovering optimal solution using random
projection

***************************************
Research at TTIC Seminar Series

TTIC is hosting a weekly seminar series presenting the research currently
underway at the Institute. Every week a different TTIC faculty member will
present their research.  The lectures are intended both for students
seeking research topics and adviser, and for the general TTIC and
University of Chicago communities interested in hearing what their
colleagues are up to.

To receive announcements about the seminar series, please subscribe to the
mailing list: https://groups.google.com/a/ttic.edu/group/talks/subscribe

Speaker details can be found at: http://www.ttic.edu/tticseminar.php.

For additional questions, please contact David McAllester at
mcallester at ttic.edu

--
*Dawn Ellis*
Administrative Coordinator,