[Colloquium] Reminder: Zhou/MS Presentation/May 11, 2015

Margaret Jaffey margaret at cs.uchicago.edu
Fri May 8 09:19:06 CDT 2015

This is a reminder about Zhixuan's MS Presentation on Monday.

Date:  Monday, May 11, 2015

Time:  11:00 AM

Place:  Ryerson 277

M.S. Candidate:  Zhixuan Zhou

M.S. Paper Title: GraphZ: Faster Graph Computing for Commodity PCs

Abstract:
Supporting large scale graph analytics has become a central problem
for computer systems researchers. Recent advances have made it
possible to perform large scale graph analytics on commodity PCs.
Despite this progress, however, graph processing on a PC still suffers
from the slow speed of backing stores compared to CPUs. This paper
presents two optimizations that reduce memory footprint and disk
accesses for graph processing. The first is degree-ordered storage, a
new storage format that greatly reduces book-keeping overhead. The
second replaces existing static messages with a new semi-message model
where messages to in-memory vertices are processed immediately,
decreasing IO pressure and increasing parallelism while maintaining
consistent execution order. This semi-message mode, thus, provides
further reduction in memory footprint and disk access. We implement
these optimizations in a new graph analytics framework called GraphZ,
which we release as open source. Our experimental results -- using
three different graph sizes and six different benchmarks -- indicate
that GraphZ is competitive with state-of-the-art solutions for small
graphs. For large graphs (greater than memory size), GraphZ provides
performance improvements in the range of 1.2-17X over existing
state-of-the-art solutions.

Zhixuan's advisor is Prof. Henry Hoffmann

Login to the Computer Science Department website for details:
 https://www.cs.uchicago.edu/phd/ms_announcements#zhixuanzhou

Margaret P. Jaffey            margaret at cs.uchicago.edu
Department of Computer Science
Student Support Rep (Ry 156)               (773) 702-6011
The University of Chicago      http://www.cs.uchicago.edu