[Colloquium] Research at TTIC: Gregory Shakhnarovich, TTIC

Dawn Ellis dellis at ttic.edu
Fri Nov 14 10:24:00 CST 2014

** This will be our last Friday Research Talk for the year; we      will
resume on Friday, January 9th.

When:     Friday, November 21st at Noon

Where:    TTIC, 6045 S Kenwood Avenue, 5th Floor, Room 526

Who:       Gregory Shakhnarovich, TTIC

Title:       Feedforward semantic segmentation with zoom-out features

Abstract:

I will present our recent and ongoing work on a purely feed-forward
architecture for semantic segmentation. We represent small image elements
(superpixels) by rich feature representations extracted from a sequence of
regions of increasing extent, obtained by "zooming out" from the superpixel
all the way to scene-level resolution. This allows us to capture
statistical structure in label space without setting up explicit structured
prediction mechanism, and thus to skip complex and expensive inference.
Instead segmentation is done by feedforward classification of superpixels a
multilayer network. Our architecture achieves state of the art in semantic
segmentation,
obtaining \textbf{58.4\%} average accuracy on the PASCAL VOC 2012 test set.

Joint work with Reza Mostajabi and Payman Yadollahpour.

***************************************
Research at TTIC Seminar Series

TTIC is hosting a weekly seminar series presenting the research currently
underway at the Institute. Every week a different TTIC faculty member will
present their research.  The lectures are intended both for students
seeking research topics and adviser, and for the general TTIC and
University of Chicago communities interested in hearing what their
colleagues are up to.

To receive announcements about the seminar series, please subscribe to the
mailing list: https://groups.google.com/a/ttic.edu/group/talks/subscribe

Speaker details can be found at: http://www.ttic.edu/tticseminar.php.

For additional questions, please contact David McAllester at
mcallester at ttic.edu

--
*Dawn Ellis*
Administrative Coordinator,