[Colloquium] REMINDER: TTIC Colloquium: Oliver Cossairt, Northwestern

Dawn Ellis dellis at ttic.edu
Fri Nov 14 08:02:05 CST 2014

When:     Monday, November 17th at 11am

Where:    TTIC, 6045 S Kenwood Avenue, 5th Floor, Room 526

Who:       Oliver Cossairt, Northwestern

Title:       A Framework for Analysis of Computational Imaging Systems

Abstract:

Over the last decade, a number of Computational Imaging (CI) systems have
been proposed for tasks such as  motion deblurring, defocus deblurring and
multispectral imaging. These techniques increase the amount of light
reaching the sensor via multiplexing and then undo the deleterious effects
of multiplexing by appropriate reconstruction algorithms. Given the
widespread appeal and the considerable enthusiasm generated by these
techniques, a detailed performance analysis of the benefits conferred by
this approach is important.

Unfortunately, a detailed analysis of CI has proven to be a challenging
problem because performance depends equally on three components: (1) the
optical multiplexing, (2) the noise characteristics of the sensor, and (3)
the reconstruction algorithm which typically uses signal priors. In this
talk, I will present a comprehensive analysis framework incorporating all
three components. In order to perform this analysis, we model the signal
priors using a Gaussian Mixture Model (GMM). We use our framework to
analyze several previously proposed CI techniques (focal sweep, flutter
shutter, parabolic exposure, etc.), giving conclusive answer to the
question: `How much performance gain is due to use of a signal prior and
how much is due to multiplexing? Our analysis also clearly shows that
multiplexing provides significant performance gains above and beyond the
gains obtained due to use of signal priors.

Bio:

Oliver Cossairt is the Lisa Wissner-Slivka and Benjamin Slivka Junior
Professor of Computer Science at Northwestern University.  His research
interests lie at the intersection of optics, computer vision, and computer
graphics. He earned his PhD. in Computer Science from Columbia University,
where his research focused on the design and analysis of computational
imaging systems. He earned his M.S. from the MIT Media Lab, where his
research focused on holography and computational displays. Oliver was
awarded a NSF Graduate Research Fellowship, Best Paper Award at ICCP 2010,
Honorable Mention at ICCP 2014, and his research was featured in the March
2011 issue of Scientific American Magazine. Oliver has authored ten patents
on various topics in computational imaging and displays.

Host:  Ayan Chakrabarti,  ayanc at ttic.edu

--
*Dawn Ellis*
Administrative Coordinator,