[Colloquium] Talk at TTIC: Iasonas Kokkinos (Ecole Centrale Paris, France)

George Papandreou gpapan at ttic.edu
Wed Jun 18 13:00:54 CDT 2014

 When:     Friday, June 20, at 11 am

Where:    TTIC, 6045 S Kenwood Avenue, 5th Floor, Room #5
​26​

Who:       Iasonas Kokkinos (Ecole Centrale Paris, France)

Title:       Fast and Exact Algorithms for Object Detection with Deformable
Models

Abstract:

Deformable Part Models (DPMs) are at the core of current object recognition
research, but can come at an increased  computational cost. In this talk we
will see how optimization techniques can accelerate detection with DPMs.

In the first part of the talk we will present how Branch-and-Bound (BB)
 applies to detection with star-shaped DPMs. We will first present how to
compute bounds that accommodate part deformations and then present a
technique that uses shared mid-level parts to compute quick probabilistic
bounds to the individual part scores. We show that the combination of these
techniques yields substantial acceleration while delivering virtually
identical results.

In the second part of the talk we will see how the Alternating Direction
Method of Multipliers (ADDM) can be used to accommodate loops in the
model's graph structure. For this we decompose a loopy graph into a set of
loop-free `slaves' and use a master-slave scheme to ensure that the slave
solutions are consistent. We demonstrate substantial acceleration over Dual
Decomposition, which often failed to converge.  On a challenging medical
shape segmentation benchmark our ADMM-based technique yields substantially
better results than the previous state-of-the-art, while converging in
typically less than 10 iterations.