[Colloquium] REMINDER: Colloquium at TTIC: Koh Takeuchi (NTT, Japan)

Dawn Ellis dellis at ttic.edu
Tue Jun 17 12:50:05 CDT 2014

*** ROOM CHANGE

When:     Wednesday, June 18th at 11 am

Where:    TTIC, 6045 S Kenwood Avenue, 5th Floor, Room #5
​26​

Who:       Koh Takeuchi (NTT, Japan)

Title:       Extracting hidden structure from multiple higher order arrays.

Abstract:

As the amount and variety of available data grows rapidly in recent
years, many higher-order relational data become available: e.g.
ratings of users × shops × times, and social connections between users
× friends × social network.   A higher-order relational data (array)
can be formalized as a tensor, and we can employ tensordecomposition
techniques to extract a hidden structure within the tensor.
Non-negative Tensor Factorization (NTF) is a widely used technique for
decomposing a non-negative value tensor into sparse and reasonably
interpretable factors. However, NTF performs poorly when the tensor is
extremely sparse, which is often the case with real-world,
higher-order relational data tensors. In this talk, we propose
Non-negative Multiple TensorFactorization (NMTF), which factorizes the
target tensor and auxiliary tensors simultaneously, to solve this
problem. Auxiliary data tensors compensate for the sparseness of the
target data tensor. The proposed method also allows us to examine the
target data from several different aspects, because we also obtain the
factors of the auxiliary tensors. We confirm experimentally that NMTF
performs better than NTF in terms of reconstructing reconstruction of
the given factorized data tensor. Furthermore, we demonstrate that the
proposed NMTF can successfully extract spatio-temporal patterns of
people’s daily life such as leisure, drinking, and shopping activity
by analyzing several tensors extracted from online review data sets.

Host:  Ryota Tomioka,  tomioka at ttic.edu

--
*Dawn Ellis*
Administrative Coordinator,