[Colloquium] Reminder: Samuels/MS Presentation/Mar 11, 2013

Margaret Jaffey margaret at cs.uchicago.edu
Fri Mar 8 13:06:54 CST 2013

This is a reminder about Lamont's MS Presentation on Monday.

Date:  Monday, March 11, 2013

Time:  11:30 AM

Place:  Ryerson 352 (the "Barn")

M.S. Candidate:  Lamont Samuels

M.S. Paper Title: Strand Communication in Diderot

Abstract:
Diderot is a parallel domain-specific language designed for biomedical
image-analysis and visualization algorithms that provides a high-level
mathematical programming model. Diderot allows domain experts to
implement familiar image analysis and visualization algorithms
directly in terms of tensors, tensor fields, and tensor operations,
using the same mathematical notation that would be used in vector and
tensor calculus. These operations are executed as parallel independent
computations. We model these independent computations as autonomous
lightweight threads called strands. The current design of Diderot
limits strand creation to initialization time and does not provide any
mechanisms for communicating between strands. For algorithms, such as
particle systems, where strands are used to explore the image space,
it is useful to be able to dynamically create new strands instantly
and share data between each other. We present a strand communication
system with two mechanisms: a spatial mechanism that retrieves nearby
strands based on their geometric position in space, and a global
mechanism for global computations (i.e., reductions) over sets of
strands. We also provide a new mechanism for dynamically allocating
new strands. We show through experiments that our strand communication
system provides high-performance for our sequential runtime.

Lamont's advisor is Prof. John Reppy

Login to the Computer Science Department website for details:
 https://www.cs.uchicago.edu/phd/ms_announcements#lamonts

Margaret P. Jaffey            margaret at cs.uchicago.edu
Department of Computer Science
Student Support Rep (Ry 156)               (773) 702-6011
The University of Chicago      http://www.cs.uchicago.edu