[Colloquium] Upcoming Colloquium Talk at TTIC: Claudio Castellini, Ph.D (RMC, DLR)

Dawn Ellis dellis at ttic.edu
Wed Jun 5 12:21:05 CDT 2013

When:     Friday, June 28th 11am-12pm

Where:    TTIC, 6045 S Kenwood Avenue, 5th Floor, Room #526

Who:      Claudio Castellini, Ph.D.
              RMC - Robotics and Mechatronics Center
              DLR - German Aerospace Center
              Oberpfaffenhofen, Germany
              http://www.robotic.dlr.de/Claudio.Castellini

Title:      Non-invasive Human-Machine Interfaces for the disabled:
             rehabilitation, phantom pain and more

Abstract:

        In this talk I'll give an overview of my recent research on
non-invasive
        HMIs which connect to the Peripheral Nervous System,
        especially surface electromyography and ultrasound imaging, with the
        aim of controlling advanced hand prostheses and treating some forms
of
        neuropathic pain. In particular, I am interested in (a) detecting
how well
        upper-limb amputees and PNS-nerve-injury patients can still control
a hand;
        (b) using this effect to let them regain some of the lost function
and/or treat
        their pain; (c) investigate and possibly exploit the cortical
plasticity involved.

Host: Francesco Orabona,  Orabona at ttic.edu

--
*Dawn Ellis*