[Colloquium] Computer Science Distinguished Lecture Series

Donna Brooms donna at cs.uchicago.edu
Thu Nov 29 10:37:56 CST 2012

~ A Computer Science Distinguished Lecture Series ~

Date:		Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Time:	4:30 p.m.

Place:	Ryerson 277, 1100 E. 58th Street

Speaker:	Trevor Mudge

From:	University of Michigan

Title:		Interconnect Fabrics for Multicore Computers

Abstract:  This talk will examine a new class of interconnect fabrics suitable for small to medium size multicore systems on a chip—those with less than 100 processors. The basis of this class of interconnects is a crossbar. Crossbars have several advantageous properties: simple one hop routing; ease of implementing QoS policies.  On the other hand their scalability is limited and multicast operations can be clumsy to implement.   We show that the limits of scalability are not as severe as often thought. Additionally we show how we solve multicast and implement common QoS policies. To support our arguments we will present performance data from several prototype chips that we have built and show how they can be used to create multicore systems.
Host: Prof. Andrew Chien & Prof. Ridgway Scott

*Refreshments will be served before the talk at 4:00 p.m. in Ryerson 255*