[Colloquium] A Computer Science Seminar

Donna Brooms donna at cs.uchicago.edu
Wed Nov 28 09:47:54 CST 2012

 REMINDER

~ A Computer Science Seminar ~

Date:		Wednesday, November 28 2012

Time:	2:30 p.m.

Place:	Ryerson 251, 1100 E. 58th Street

______________________________

Speaker:	Christoph Ortner

From:	The University of Warwick

Title:		Optimising Multiscale Defect Simulations
Abstract: The computation of geometry, energy (and other quantities of interest) for crystalline defects has been an active area of research for computational physics for at least 60 years. More recently, multi-scale approaches have been employed, to accelerate these computations, or to obtain higher accuracy. In this talk, I will focus on atomistic-to-continuum (quasicontinuum) methods for lattice defects. I will review how the framework of numerical analysis leads to error estimates (accuracy) in terms of the various approximation parameters such as domain size, atomistic region size, finite element mesh, or interface treatment. I will then discuss how these estimates can be recast as error estimates in terms of computational cost. Finally, this can be used to optimise the various approximation parameters. (Joint work with Helen Li, Mitch Luskin, Alex Shapeev and Brian Van Koten)

Host: Prof. Ridgway Scott

*Refreshments will be served following the talk at 3:30 in Ryerson 255*