[Colloquium] CS TALK: Dan Reed, Microsoft Corporation on May 10, 2012

Katie Casey caseyk at cs.uchicago.edu
Tue May 8 08:24:18 CDT 2012

DEPARTMENT OF COMPUTER SCIENCE

UNIVERSITY OF CHICAGO

Date: Thursday, May 10, 2012
Time: 3:00 p.m.
Place: RY 251

Speaker:		Dan Reed

From:		Microsoft Corporation

Web page:	http://www.hpcdan.org/

Title: 		Exponential Change: Challenges and Opportunities

Abstract:		Computing is transforming both scientific discovery and the social fabric of our society. First, consider the challenges of scientific computing, which has moved from the terascale to the trans-petascale regime, with exascale computing research now underway.  Large-scale scientific instruments, ubiquitous sensors and large scale simulations are now producing a torrent of digital data.  How do we rethink the implications of scale, examining systemic reliability and resilience, managing energy and power consumption more creatively based on heterogeneous, low power designs; simplifying software design and optimization; and transforming research data provenance and sustainability approaches to more economically sustainable models?
Second, population growth and shifting demographics, rising global energy demand and climate change, personalized medicine and exploding health care costs, global communications and digital empowerment, workforce shifts and global economics – these and other societal factors are reshaping our world. They are both influenced and driven by rapid technical changes.

This talk will focus on technical computing futures, but also explore a few of these policy topics with an eye toward more nimble and adaptive policy frameworks that can better accommodate rapid technical change..

Hosted by: Andrew Chien

Refreshments will be served prior to the talk in Ryerson 255 at 2:30.