[Colloquium] JOB TALK: Risi Kondor, CalTech on January 31

Katie Casey caseyk at cs.uchicago.edu
Tue Jan 18 14:21:00 CST 2011

DEPARTMENT OF COMPUTER SCIENCE

UNIVERSITY OF CHICAGO

Date: Monday, January 31, 2011
Time: 2:30 p.m.
Place: Ryerson 251, 1100 E. 58th Street

Speaker:		Risi Kondor

From:		California Institute of Technology

Web page:	http://www.its.caltech.edu/~risi/index.html

Title: 		Non-commutative harmonic analysis in machine learning

Abstract:  	Non-commutative harmonic analysis allows one to generalize the notion of Fourier transformation to rotations, permutations, or indeed, any compact group of transformations acting on some underlying space. We have found that this theory and the corresponding fast Fourier transforms have a whole range of natural applications in machine learning and other areas of computer science. I will give an overview of these developments, touching on invariant features for computer vision, compact representations of uncertainty in multi-object tracking, graph kernels, and strategies for solving hard optimization problems.

Host: 		Pedro Felzenszwalb

Refreshments will be served following the talk at 3:30 in Ryerson 255.