[Colloquium] Seminar Announcement: A Practical Provenance Query Framework for Parallel and Distributed Scientific Scripting Applications-TODAY!

Ninfa Mayorga ninfa at ci.uchicago.edu
Fri Feb 18 10:04:25 CST 2011

(Today's talk has been moved to room 236)
===============

Computation Institute- Data Lunch Seminar (DLS)

Speaker: Luiz Gadelha, Technologist, National Laboratory for
Scientific Computing in Brazil
Date: February 18, 2011
Time: 12:00 PM - 1:00 PM
Location: The University of Chicago, Searle 236, 5735 S. Ellis Ave.

A Practical Provenance Query Framework for Parallel and Distributed
Scientific Scripting Applications

Abstract:
Provenance management systems for parallel and distributed scientific
scripting applications enable the analysis of complex computational
experiments in different conceptual dimensions. They allow for one to
extract the precise lineage of data artifacts generated by the
experiments in order to explain the processes used to generate them.
In this work we present a data model geared towards scientific
scripting applications, that enriches structural provenance data with
information about the runtime behavior in high performance computing
environments, and scientific application specific parameters. This
provenance data model is implemented in a relational database. We
survey provenance query patterns and present queries that match these
patterns to correlate structural provenance, runtime data, and
scientific parameters to provide useful information to the scientist.
Finally, we abstract common provenance patterns into functions and
stored procedures in the relational database in order to improve the
provenance system's usability.

Bio:
Luiz Gadelha is currently a D.Sc. student at the Computer and Systems
Engineering Program of the Federal University of Rio de Janeiro. His
research is concerned with security, scalability, and expressiveness
of provenance systems in e-Science. He is also a technologist at the
National Laboratory for Scientific Computing, in Brazil.

Information: Lunch will be provided