[Colloquium] Seminar Announcement: Accelerating I/O and Analysis on Leadership-Class Systems

Ninfa Mayorga ninfa at ci.uchicago.edu
Wed Oct 27 10:50:28 CDT 2010

Computation Institute/PADS talk

Speaker: Venkatram Vishwanath, Mathematics and Computer Science
Division, Argonne National Laboratory
Host: Michael E. Papka
Date: November 3, 2010
Time: 1:00 PM - 2:00 PM
Location: The University of Chicago, Searle 240A, 5735 S. Ellis Avenue

Accelerating I/O and Analysis on Leadership-Class Systems

Current leadership-class machines suffer from a significant imbalance
between their computational power and their I/O bandwidth. I/O
forwarding is a paradigm that attempts to bridge the increasing
performance and scalability gap between the compute and I/O components
of leadership-class machines to meet the requirements of data
intensive applications by shipping I/O calls from compute nodes to
dedicated I/O nodes. I/O forwarding is a critical component of the I/O
subsystem of the IBM Blue Gene P supercomputer currently deployed at
several leadership computing facilities. In this talk, We will discuss
the performance of the existing I/O forwarding mechanisms for BG / P
and identify the bottlenecks in the current design. We will describe
our work [1] in augmenting I/O forwarding with two approaches: I/O
scheduling using a work-queue model and asynchronous data staging and
present the efficacy of our approaches using micro-benchmarks and
application-level benchmarks on leadershi p-class systems.

In the second half of the talk, we will discuss data analysis
challenges faced by applications at extreme-scale and present various
promising approaches. We will present an overview of our work in GLEAN
- A flexible framework for data analysis at extreme-scale.

[1]"Accelerating I/O Forwarding on IBM Blue Gene/P System", V.
Vishwanath et al, To appear at IEEE/ACM Supercomputing 2010.
http://sc10.supercomputing.org/schedule/event_detail.php?evid=pap356