[Colloquium] TTIC Colloquium: Chris Langmead, CMU

Julia MacGlashan macglashan at tti-c.org
Mon Oct 25 09:40:03 CDT 2010

*REMINDER*

When:             *Monday, Oct 25 @ 1:00pm*

Where:           * TTIC Conference Room #526*, 6045 S Kenwood Ave, 5th Floor

Who:              * Chris Langmead,* CMU

Title:               * Probabilistic Graphical Models of Protein Sequence
and Structure *

Proteins are molecular machines that participate in virtually every process
within living cells.   These complex molecules are often difficult to
understand because they exhibit tremendous variation in terms of their
chemical composition (i.e., sequence) and three dimensional structure.
Recently, however, several groups, including my own, have demonstrated that
probabilistic graphical models (PGM) are well-suited to modeling proteins
and for solving problems of critical importance to biologists,
pharmaceutical companies, and protein engineers.  In this talk I will
describe three undirected PGMs (aka Markov Random Fields) that were
developed in my group.  The first is a generative model suitable for
designing new protein sequences. The second models the Boltzmann
distribution over structure and is suitable for performing physics-based
free energy calculations. The third models protein sequence and structure
simultaneously and can be used to design proteins or drugs.  The talk is
intended for a general audience and no prior background in Biology is
needed.

Host:             Jinbo Xu, j3xu at ttic.edu