[Colloquium] [Faculty] REMINDER: Anil Nerode Talk Today

Robert I. Soare soare at cs.uchicago.edu
Thu Jun 10 10:28:06 CDT 2010

Katie,

Please send this to all math (I don;t know the email address,
ask Lynette of Judy Garza).

Thanks

Bob

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

On Thu, 10 Jun 2010, Katie Casey wrote:

> SPEAKER:
> Anil Nerode
> Goldwin Smith Professor of Mathematics
> Cornell Univesity
>
> DATE:
> Thursday, June 10, 2010,
> 4:00-5:30 pm
> Ryerson 251
>
> TITLE:
> Mathematics at Chicago in the  Stone Age
>
> ABSTRACT:
> After World War II President Robert Maynard Hutchins brought Marshall
> Harvey Stone from Harvard to Chicago where he built the leading
> mathematics department of its time, as it had been the leading
> department in the United States in the early part of the 20th century.
>
> I entered the Hutchins Great Books program as an undergraduate in
> 1947, and finished my Ph.D. with Saunders Mac Lane in 1956. I will try
> to communicate the intellectual ethos of the University at the time,
> and the excellence and originality of the graduate program, the
> faculty, and the graduate students. I will give especial attention to
> the (unforeseen) effect of the Chicago graduate students of the time
> on the development of mathematical logic and computer science in the
> second half of the twentieth century.  I cordially invite others at
> Chicago at that time to chime in with their experiences.
>
> There will be a reception prior to the talk in Ryerson 255 from 3 to 4.

Robert I. Soare
Paul Snowden Russell
Distinguished Service Professor
    of Mathematics and Computer Science
Department of Mathematics 	     PHONE: (773) 702-6029, Secty: 702-7100
The University of Chicago            FAX:   (773) 702-8487 or (773) 702-9787
5734 University Avenue		     E-MAIL:	soare at uchicago.edu
Chicago, IL 60637-1546	USA  	     WEB: www.people.cs.uchicago.edu/~soare/