[Colloquium] REMINDER: Anil Nerode Talk Today

Katie Casey caseyk at cs.uchicago.edu
Thu Jun 10 09:00:42 CDT 2010

SPEAKER:
Anil Nerode
Goldwin Smith Professor of Mathematics
Cornell Univesity

DATE:
Thursday, June 10, 2010,
4:00-5:30 pm
Ryerson 251

TITLE:
Mathematics at Chicago in the  Stone Age

ABSTRACT:
After World War II President Robert Maynard Hutchins brought Marshall
Harvey Stone from Harvard to Chicago where he built the leading
mathematics department of its time, as it had been the leading
department in the United States in the early part of the 20th century.

I entered the Hutchins Great Books program as an undergraduate in
1947, and finished my Ph.D. with Saunders Mac Lane in 1956. I will try
to communicate the intellectual ethos of the University at the time,
and the excellence and originality of the graduate program, the
faculty, and the graduate students. I will give especial attention to
the (unforeseen) effect of the Chicago graduate students of the time
on the development of mathematical logic and computer science in the
second half of the twentieth century.  I cordially invite others at
Chicago at that time to chime in with their experiences.

There will be a reception prior to the talk in Ryerson 255 from 3 to 4.