[Colloquium] Reminder: Talk by Miao (Lily) Jin, Stony Brook University Today

caseyk caseyk at cs.uchicago.edu
Wed Mar 12 07:45:05 CDT 2008

DEPARTMENT OF COMPUTER SCIENCE

UNIVERSITY OF CHICAGO

Date: Wednesday, March 12, 2008
Time: 2:30 p.m.
Place: Ryerson 251, 1100 E. 58th Street

Speaker:	Miao (Lily) Jin

From:		Stony Brook University

Web page:	http://www.cs.sunysb.edu/~mjin/

Title:  Discrete Surface Ricci Flow – Theoretical Foundation and
Applications

Abstract: Ricci flow is a curvature flow method, which has been
applied to the proof of the Poincare conjecture on three dimensional
manifolds. We introduce Ricci flow to engineering fields. We
generalize surface Ricci flow to discrete setting, and design
algorithms of discrete surface Ricci flow based on a variational
framework.
They have the potential for a wide range of applications in computer
graphics, geometric modeling, vision, and medical imaging. We
demonstrate their practical values by real applications.