[Colloquium] Talk by Christian Urban, TU Munich on April 9, 2008

caseyk caseyk at cs.uchicago.edu
Tue Mar 11 15:51:34 CDT 2008

DEPARTMENT OF COMPUTER SCIENCE

UNIVERSITY OF CHICAGO

Date: Wednesday, April 9, 2008
Time: 2:30 p.m.
Place: Ryerson 251, 1100 E. 58th Street

Speaker:	Christian Urban

From:		TU Munich

Web page:	http://www4.in.tum.de/~urbanc/

Title: Verification of Programming Languages and Compilers

Abstract: Recent years have seen much progress in developing verified
compilers. Such compilers guarantee that the compiled code behaves the
same as the source program where the behavior of both is prescribed by
a specified semantics. Despite this progress, however, the remaining
problem is that the verification of a compiler is still extremely
hard. In my talk I will describe ideas for simplifying such
verifications. I will also describe techniques for the verification of
programming languages. The purpose of the latter is to establish
properties about compiled code that go beyond the behavioral
equivalence between source program and compiled code.