[Colloquium] Talk by Andrej Bogdanov, Tsinghua University, on Monday, February 4, 2008-Correction

Nita Yack nitayack at uchicago.edu
Tue Jan 29 15:23:46 CST 2008

DEPARTMENT OF COMPUTER SCIENCE - TALK

SPONSORED BY UNIVERSITY OF CHICAGO

Date: Monday, February 4, 2008
Time: 2:30 p.m.
Place: Ryerson 251, 1100 E. 58th St.

Speaker:  Andrej Bogdanov

From:	Tsinghua University

Web page:  http://itcs.tsinghua.edu.cn/postdoc/andrej.html

Title: Pseudorandom bits for polynomials

Abstract: Despite our general belief that randomized computations can
be simulated deterministically in an efficient way, there are
relatively few models for which results of this type can be shown
unconditionally. On the other hand, the study of derandomization in
simple models of computation has proved fruitful even in domains where
no applications were apparent at the outset.

We consider pseudorandom generators for the class of low-degree
multivariate polynomials over a finite field. For degree 1 polynomials
(linear functions), such pseudorandom generators were first
constructed by Naor and Naor in 1989 and have been widely studied and
used ever since. In this talk we will discuss some recent progress in
constructing pseudorandom generators for higher degree polynomials,
and connections with other problems in computational complexity and
arithmetic combinatorics.

  ****************************

Host:  Laszlo Babai

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Nita

Nita Yack
Departmental Administrator
Computer Science Department
1100 E. 58th Street - Room 151
Chicago, IL 60637
(773) 702-6019
(773) 702-8487 FAX

"Hard work spotlights the character of people: some turn up their
sleeves, some turn up their noses, and some don't turn up at all."