[Colloquium] Talk by Paul Cohen, University of Southern California, on Thursday, January 17, 2008 - REMINDER

Nita Yack nitayack at uchicago.edu
Thu Jan 17 11:45:45 CST 2008

DEPARTMENT OF COMPUTER SCIENCE - BROWN BAG TALK

Date:	Thursday, January 17, 2008

Time:	12:00 p.m.

Place:	Ryerson 251, 1100 E. 58th St.

Speaker: Paul Cohen
From:  University of Southern California

Web page: http://www.isi.edu/~cohen

Title: World Learning and Education Informatics, Two Applications of
Data Mining

Abstract: The first part of this talk will review progress on our
Robot Baby project, the goal of which is to have robots and softbots
learn word meanings automatically by associating words with aspects of
scenes. All our experiments involve parallel corpora of sentences and
formal representations of scenes, and unsupervised data mining
algorithms to find structure in the scenes that might be associated
with occurrences of words. Recently, our Wubble World project has
demonstrated that large sentence-scene corpora can be extracted from
transcripts of children playing online games. The second half of the
talk is about web-based educational technology, particularly
intelligent tutoring systems and modeling students' engagement and
learning statistically on the basis of their overt problem-solving
behavior. As more students use online educational technology, there
will be great opportunities for educational data mining and challenges
for Education Informatics.

Host: “Stuart A. Kurtz”

*There will be refreshments in Ryerson 255 prior to the talk.*

Persons who need assistance should call 773-702-6614

Nita

Nita Yack
Departmental Administrator
Computer Science Department
1100 E. 58th Street - Room 151
Chicago, IL 60637
(773) 702-6019
(773) 702-8487 FAX

"Hard work spotlights the character of people: some turn up their
sleeves, some turn up their noses, and some don't turn up at all."