[Colloquium] Talk by James Larus, Microsoft Research, on Monday, January 14, 2008 - THIS IS TODAY

Nita Yack nitayack at uchicago.edu
Mon Jan 14 07:17:42 CST 2008

DEPARTMENT OF COMPUTER SCIENCE - TALK

Date:	Monday, January 14, 2008

Time:	2:30 p.m.

Place:	Ryerson 251, 1100 E. 58th St.

Speaker: James Larus
From:  Microsoft Research

Web page: http://research.microsoft.com/~larus

Title: Singularity: Rethinking the Software Stack

Abstract: Every operating system embodies a collection of design
decisions some explicit, some implicit. Contemporary operating systems
Windows, Linux, Mac OS X, and BSD  share a large number of design
decisions. This commonality is not entirely accidental, as these
systems are all rooted in OS architectures and development tools of
the late 1960’s and early 1970’s. While some design decisions have
withstood the test of time, others have aged less gracefully.

The Singularity project started in 2003 to re-examine the design
decisions and increasingly obvious shortcomings of existing systems
and software stacks, including: wide-spread security vulnerabilities;
unexpected interactions among applications; failures caused by errant
extensions, plug-ins, and drivers, and a perceived lack of robustness.
We believe that many of these problems are attributable to systems
that have not evolved far beyond the computer architectures and
programming languages of the 1960’s and 1970’s.

In the Singularity project, we have built a new operating system, a
new programming language, and new software verification tools. The
Singularity operating system incorporates a new software architecture
based on software isolation of processes. Our programming language,
Sing#, is an extension of C# that provides verifiable, first-class
support for OS communication primitives as well as strong support for
systems programming and code factoring.

Host: “Anne Rogers”

*The talk will be followed by refreshments in Ryerson 255*

Persons who need assistance should call 773-702-6614

Nita

Nita Yack
Departmental Administrator
Computer Science Department
1100 E. 58th Street - Room 151
Chicago, IL 60637
(773) 702-6019
(773) 702-8487 FAX

"Hard work spotlights the character of people: some turn up their
sleeves, some turn up their noses, and some don't turn up at all."