[Colloquium] FW: Guest Speaker Announcement

Ponda Barnes pondabarnes at tti-c.org
Tue May 1 09:26:04 CDT 2007

Reminder!!

Guest Speaker

Presented by: Toyota Technological Institute at Chicago

Speaker: Sorin Draghici
Speaker's home page: http://vortex.cs.wayne.edu/sorin/index.htm

Date: Tuesday, May 1, 2007
Time: 10:00
Location: TTI-C Conference room

Title: A systems biology approach to pathway analysis

Abstract:

A common challenge in the analysis of genomics data is trying to understand
the underlying phenomenon in the context of all complex interactions taking
place on various signaling pathways.  A statistical approach using various
models is universally used to identify the most relevant pathways in a given
experiment.  In this talk, we show that despite its general adoption, this
statistical analysis is unsatisfactory, and can often provide incorrect
results.  We discuss how and why the limited numerical nature of this
approach makes it ill suited to cope with the complex interactions and
dependencies that characterize living organisms. Using a systems biology
approach, we developed a more powerful impact analysis that extends the
classical statistical approach by incorporating a number of crucial
biological factors such as the magnitude of the expression change for each
gene, the type and the position of the genes in the given pathways, the
interactions between them, etc. To the best of our knowledge, none of the
other approaches currently used for pathway analysis is able to integrate
these factors in a coherent model.  Notably, the novel integrated model we
propose is fully coherent with the classical approach. When the limitations
of the classical approach are forcefully imposed (e.g., ignoring the
magnitude of the measured expression changes or ignoring the regulatory
interactions between genes), the impact analysis reduces to the classical
approach and yields exactly the same results.  On several illustrative data
sets, the classical analysis produces both false positives and false
negatives while the impact analysis provides biologically meaningful
results.

If you have any questions or would like to meet the speaker, please contact
Ponda Barnes at pondabarnes at tti-c.org
For future TTI-C talks and events please go to
http://ttic.uchicago.edu/cal/month.php