[Colloquium] Talk by Yuri Rabinovich on Monday, January 22, 2007

Margery Ishmael marge at cs.uchicago.edu
Tue Jan 16 11:21:36 CST 2007

DEPARTMENT OF COMPUTER SCIENCE - TALK

Date: Monday, January 22, 2007
Time: 2:30 p.m.
Place: Ryerson 251

Speaker:  Yuri Rabinovich

From:  University of Haifa, Israel

Title:  Local Versus Global Properties of Metric Spaces

Abstract:

Motivated by applications in combinatorial optimization, we study the
extent to which the global properties of a metric space (especially
embeddability in $\ell_1$ with low distortion) are determined by the
properties of small subspaces. We prove both upper and lower bounds
on the distortion of embedding locally constrained metrics into
various target spaces.

Based on a joint work with S.Arora, L.Lovasz, I.Newman, Y.Rabani and
S.Vempala.

***The talk will be followed by refreshments in Ryerson 255***

Host:  Lance Fortnow

People in need of assistance should call 773-834-8977 in advance.

For information on future CS talks, please see: http://
www.cs.uchicago.edu/events