[Colloquium] Today: Sotomayor/MS Presentation/Jan. 3, 2007

Margaret Jaffey margaret at cs.uchicago.edu
Wed Jan 3 09:18:28 CST 2007

This is a reminder about Borja Sotomayor's MS Presentation this
afternoon.

------------
Date:  Wednesday, January 3, 2007

Time:  1:00 p.m.

Place:  Ryerson 251

M.S. Candidate:  Borja Sotomayor Basilio

M.S. Paper Title:  A Resource Management Model for VM-Based Virtual
Workspaces

Abstract:
Virtual workspaces provide an abstraction for dynamically deployable
execution environments on a Grid. For this abstraction to be
effective, it must be possible to provide on-demand software
environments and enforceable fine--grained resource allocations for
these workspaces. Virtual machines are a promising vehicle to realize
the virtual workspace abstraction, as they allow us to instantiate a
precisely defined virtual resource, configured with desired software
configuration and hardware properties, on a set of physical resources.

In this paper, we describe a model of virtual machine provisioning in
a Grid environment that allows us to define such virtual resources
and instantiate them on a physical Grid infrastructure. Our model
focuses, firstly, on providing users with an accurate representation
of virtual resources. To accomplish this, the overhead resulting from
instantiating and managing virtual resources is scheduled at the same
level as virtual resources, instead of being deducted from a user's
resource allocation. Secondly, our model also focuses on efficiently
managing virtual resources by reducing the amount of overhead.

We argue that this model, compared to resource management models that
rely on the job abstraction for remote execution, enables resource
providers to accurately provision resources to users, while using
their physical resources efficiently. We show experimental results
that demonstrate the benefits of this model both from the resource
provider's and the user's perspective, in two common resource
management scenarios for virtual workspaces: advance reservations and
batch--style submissions.

Advisor:  Prof. Ian Foster

A draft copy of Borja Sotomayor's MS Paper is available in Ry 161A.

Margaret P. Jaffey                             margaret at cs.uchicago.edu
Department of Computer Science
Student Support Rep (Ry 161A)        (773) 702-6011
The University of Chicago                  http://www.cs.uchicago.edu